Main » 2018 » June » 3 » Help! My Dog Swallowed a Penny
5:15 PM
Help! My Dog Swallowed a Penny

Swallowing a penny can be a dangerous thing for children and pets. First, there’s always a risk that the penny will get lodged in your dog’s throat or stuck in his stomach causing damage to the throat or stomach lining. Second, in pets, a penny can be very dangerous because it releases toxins into the system that are harmful to the dog. How can toxins come from a penny? Prior to 1982, pennies were made from copper which is harmless for animals if swallowed in small amounts (i.e. a penny). However, pennies dating after 1982 are no longer made with copper. They are lined with copper but are primarily made of zinc which is highly toxic. Zinc toxicity can cause vomiting and diarrhea, blood in urine, yellow mucous, liver and kidney failure, anemia, etc. Notify your Washington DC veterinary clinic right away if your dog has swallowed a penny. Visit this site to learn more.

Views: 45 | Added by: Jessicap | Rating: 0.0/0
Total comments: 0
Name *:
Email *:
Code *: