» Amazing Facts About Hedgehogs
Amazing Facts About Hedgehogs
Hedgehogs are fast-becoming popular pets. If you are thinking of bringing home a hedgehog or two, here are some amazing facts about the species:
- Hedgehogs that are kept as pets come all the way from Africa.
- In their natural habitat, they eat mostly insects, that is why they are called insectivores.
- The spines or quills on the back of hedgehogs don’t have any barbs, unlike those of porcupines.
- The face and belly of hedgehogs don’t have any quills thus they curl into a tight ball when there is a perceived threat to protect these vulnerable areas of their body.
- Hedgehogs now come in different colors and color combinations because of selective breeding.
- The average lifespan of hedgehogs is 4-6 years; with proper care and nutrition, some are known to live up to 8 years.
- Hedgehogs are fairly low-maintenance pets; their basic needs can easily be met.
It is best to have your new pet examined by your Volga, SD veterinarian before it is brought home to make sure it is not suffering from any health problems. Or call your veterinarian.
Views: 27 |