Main » 2018 » February » 7 » My Dog Has Been Exposed To Blue-Green Algae. What Should I Do?
0:27 AM
My Dog Has Been Exposed To Blue-Green Algae. What Should I Do?

Blue-green algae occur in large numbers in fresh bodies of water especially during summer when the conditions are just right for their growth. As they bloom, the algae produce toxins that they release into the water. Dogs and other animals can be exposed to the algae and the toxins when they swim, drink, or wade in the contaminated water. Toxicity can lead to the manifestation of nervous signs and liver failure. If you suspect your pet has been exposed to blue-green algae, contact your London, ON vet ASAP. Take note that there is no antidote for the toxins that are produced by blue-green algae, thus prompt veterinary attention is very important to have a better prognosis. The treatment regimen for blue-green algae poisoning will depend on the toxin/s the dog has been exposed to. The regimen generally includes intensive care, oxygen therapy, intravenous fluids, and medications for respiratory distress, seizures, and/or liver failure.

Views: 50 | Added by: Jessicap | Tags: Pet Hospital | Rating: 0.0/0
Total comments: 0
Name *:
Email *:
Code *: